Monday, January 24, 2011

When it rains, it pours huh?

Instead of a Show by Jon Foreman

I listened to this song in the shower today and my initial thought was "Wow, SO many people need to hear this. I'm sure God is sick and tired of all of the shows they put on for Him instead of worshiping them with righteous lives."

Then I stopped and it was almost like God smacked me in the face or gave me one of those "you're kidding me" looks.

I do this all the time. I read a Bible verse or hear a sermon and think "Wow, _______ really needs to hear this." My first instinct is never to learn how it applies to my life.

God must hate the shows I put on too. Instead of living a righteous life inside and outside, I just live a righteous life outside. I sing my heart out to certain worship songs because sometimes I just like the way my voice sounds in that key. 

Lately, I've been frustrated with my relationship with God. But am I really trying to pursue him, live out "an endless procession of righteous living," or just putting on a show? 

Another initial thought I had when listening to this song was, "Wow, some people are going to be pissed at this lyric. And this one. And that one."

Because part of me was too. I like my show. I feel and look Christian-y without really having to be.

Too bad God can see through it all.

How frustrating must it be for Him to know our hearts so thoroughly? We look like we are praising Him but He knows our true motives. He just wants us to love him. Then we won't have to put on a show. It will be the real thing. 

Let's argue this out
If your sins are blood red
Let's argue this out
You be one of the clouds
Let's argue this out
Quit fooling around

We can argue with God all we want about whether or not we are putting on a show or if it's even that bad to do.

SPOILER!!! God's going to win. We're going to lose.

No comments:

Post a Comment