Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Radical


So I'm reading this book right now called Radical by David Platt. I'm only halfway through but it's probably the best Christian book I've ever read. It provides challenge after challenge but also is extremely encouraging. I recommend it to everyone!!

A major point of the book is as Christians, God's heart for the world should translate to our heart for the world. Not just for where we live or a certain country but the whole world and the people inside it! Jesus and his disciples traveled far and wide to reach people in different countries and cultures to share the gospel and that's what all Christians should do. It's not that certain Christians are "called" to do missions overseas while the rest should sit in our nice suburban homes and send them money and prayer. We don't all have to move overseas to reach people in other nations, so it's time to pray and ask God how we can spread his gospel to the ends of the earth in our daily lives! Whether it be short-term missions, collecting Bibles to send to different places, discipling... with God, the possibilities are endless.

This book has also changed the way I look for a church. I'm used to a considerably large church and I loved growing up in it so naturally, the size of the church mattered in my search. However, the author, David Platt, talks about how focused our culture has become obsessed with megachurches and trying to bring as much people through the building as possible. But Jesus was a minichurch leader. He discipled 12 men and when people asked him what it took to get to heaven, he didn't say, "Pray this prayer, go to church, tithe, maybe work in the nursery if you feel like it." No way. He said to sell their possessions and give to the poor! To deny themselves and find their identity in Him! To let God completely and utterly transform you into a new person, even if that means losing your friends, family, and whatever else that must be secondary to following Christ.

Most people don't like to hear this. I don't really, either. But the most joyful and content people have followed Christ in this way. Given up everything they have to learn and teach the gospel. I have several friends who quit college to move overseas and spread the gospel! They are among the most amazing and wonderfully joyous people I know. Because they are going and making disciples and leaving behind the cushy, American-dream life so many of us fall prey to.

Don't worry, I haven't ruined the whole book for you! This is just a couple key points that have impacted me a lot... and I'm only halfway through! Go read it. Right now. It's awesome. You can borrow my copy if you like :)

God, transform me and my heart to follow you! Give me a heart for the whole world and the people in it!


**EDIT**
Ironically, I just checked Twitter and this is what one of my friends wrote:

When called, one often offers God a list of excuses. First, God isn't surprised and Second, He doesn't change His mind.

1 comment:

  1. BOOM! loved reading this. . .let's just be real, I just love you & your beautiful heart for the Lord. You are incredibly inspiring Melanie & you have a beautiful soul. I'm driving through Denver on monday. . .can I see you? :)

    ReplyDelete